2016 Ford Focus RS 5-Dr Hatchback
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Marco Carvajal
The Ford RS line was created for rally racing, the letters RS mean Rally Sport
2016 Ford Focus RS 5-Dr Hatchback
2.3L EcoBoost Engine with auto start stop technology
Unique RS 6-Speed Manual Transmission
All-Wheel Drive with Dynamic Torque Vectoring
350 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (lb. ft. rpm)
350 – 3200
19 city/25 hwy/
22 Combined Estimated mpg
The 2016 Ford Focus RS 5-Dr Hatchback is a car designed for competitions and rallies, it is fun to drive, sporty, but still has good space inside for up to 5 passengers. The Ford RS line was created for rally racing, the letters RS mean Rally Sport. Although this is not a professional car racing, still it is very fun to drive and get you in the racing mood.
The 2016 Ford RS comes with a powerful EcoBoost engine with 350 horsepower. The Focus RS is the latest vehicle to be named as part of a new golden age of “Ford Performance”. The plan foresees to carry more than 12 vehicles of high performance in the world-wide market in the next 3 years,
Developed by a small team of Ford performance engineers in Europe and the United States, the third-generation Focus RS follows the models launched in 2002 and 2009.
The 2016 Focus RS has a powerful engine, all-wheel drive and a nice backseat. This model comes with a 6 speed manual transmission for those who like to keep more control of the speeds and shifting.
If we think on some key words that come to our mind when we hear the word “Ford”, one of them will be “pioneer”, as they have always been the first in some innovations since its founding in 1903.
The first Ford’s vehicle had four bicycle wheels a four-horsepower engine, so the first quadricycle was made in 1896. Development of the company can be totally called fast, as in less than 10 years, when the first Ford model was sold, they turned a profit of $37,000 in some 4 months.
The first international plant was opened in Ontario, with the aim to sell vehicles all across Canada and then-current British Empire. Henry Ford’s T Model has become one of the best-selling vehicles of all time. Ford sold 15 million Model Ts before ceasing it in 1927.
In 2003 Ford celebrated its 100th anniversary, the company that put the world on wheels, and keep doing it with a great success!
2016 Ford Focus RS
The new Focus RS is the third generation in the line, following models launched in 2002 and 2009. This is the 30th car that wears the legendary RS badge. The automaker announced that the EcoBoost engine, unique in the new Focus RS, will produce 350 horsepower, well above the initial forecasts of 315 and 350 lb-ft along with torque.
If a driver chokes the engine, the Focus RS will debut with a feature called lift-loss recovery. In other words, there will be no need to manually restart the engine or move the gearshift in neutral because the innovative technology allows the driver to simply push the clutch again after a stop and the engine will restart.
“We knew we wanted to put the start-stop technology on the RS,” said Tyrone Johnson, engineering manager at Ford Performance Europe. “We said, ‘What if we go one step further, and we control the engine at launch with the same technology?” Well, that’s exactly what we did and it’s as fast as our start-stop technology, added Johnson.
Prices and Versions
2016 Ford Focus RS 5-Dr Hatchback starts at $35,900.
Approximate MSRP Price
2016 Ford Focus RS 5-Dr Hatchback $35,900
The 2016 Ford Focus RS have become a real surprise to Fords followers, as the engine is much more powerful than was expected!
It has the 2.3L EcoBoost Engine with auto start stop technology and the following characteristics:
- Fuel Capacity (gal.) 13.9
- Powertrain Control Module
- Horsepower 350 – 6000 rpm
- Torque 350 – 3200 lb. ft. rpm
Fuel delivery: Direct injection
The 2016 Ford Focus RS is marked with aggressive and functional design, which is based on thoughtful amenities. That makes Focus RS the most powerful production Focus ever, with high performance on the road and track.
This design can be also described as more muscular and powerful.
- 19 Premium Painted Alloy Wheels
- Powerful new front end
- Bold upper trapezoidal grille
- The fascia panel is dominated by the exceptionally large diffuser
- Carefully integrated rear roof spoiler
The character of the 2016 Ford Focus RS is reflected inside the car, the design is focused on small details, so let’s run through the details thoroughly.
- Door handles, body-color
- Unique Rocker moldings, body-color
- Integrated blind spot mirrors
- HID automatic headlamps with LED signature lighting and cornering functionality Rear windshield wiper and window defroster
- Rear view camera
- Security approach lamps
- Power mirrors, body-color, manual fold with integrated spotter mirrors and turn signal indicators
- LED Signature Lighting Hill Start Assist
- Unique RS Front Fascia, Grille, Fog Lamps and rear spoiler
- 2nd row seat with adjustable center head restraint
- 60/40 split-folding rear seat (includes flip-up cushion)
- Partial Leather RECAROwith RS Logo. 6-way Manual Driver (up/down, fore/aft, recline). 4-way Manual Passenger (fore/aft, recline)
- Heated front seats
- Black Leather RECAROwith Miko-Dinamica inserts and with RS Logo.
- Heated, 8-Way Power Driver Seat (up/down, fore/aft, tilt/recline and power lumbar)
- Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (included in the Navigation with Sonyand SYNC 3 on SE and ST2 packages)
- Air filtration system
- SYNC3 – Enhanced Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System
- Audio system from SonyAudio system with 10 speakers including subwoofer HD Radio
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio USB Ports (Two)
Comfort and Convenience
- Full-floor center console with storage, cupholders and USB ports
- Rear coat hooks
- Intelligent Access with push-button start
- Dome lamps, front, rear and cargo compartment
- Front door storage bins
- Tilt and telescoping steering wheel
- Sun visors, driver and front passenger, illuminated vanity mirrors
- Power front and rear windows with all windows one-touch up and down
- Front/Rear 12V powerpoint
- Cruise control
- Dual-stage front airbags
- Front-seat side-impact airbags
- Safety Canopyside-curtain airbags (first and second row)
- Belt-Minderfront safety belt reminder
- Three-point safety belts at all seating positions
- Height-adjustable front safety belts
- Personal Safety System
- Child safety door locks, rear
- LATCH, Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Child safety seats
- AdvanceTracelectronic stability control
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Remote keyless entry
- SecuriLockPassive Anti-Theft System
- Anti-theft perimeter alarm
The 2016 Ford Focus RS has a lot to offer. It provides a great drive experience – responsive and exciting. Focused on small details, this Focus gives you a great opportunity to enjoy: high speed, comfortable interior, high security level, and a powerful engine, which can save your time. A rearview camera and MyKey come standard. The 2016 Focus RS has a powerful engine, all-wheel drive and a nice backseat. This model comes with a 6 speed manual transmission for those who like to keep more control of the speeds and shifting. The 2016 Ford Focus RS 5-Dr Hatchback it is fun to drive, sporty, and powerful.
In terms of pricing it costs less than $40,000, for some it can be a high price for a small car, but for those who love the feeling and emotions of racing and rallies the price is worth it. Go Ford!