2017 Lexus ES 300h
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Lexus
Hybrid cars are gradually gaining market share. Concerned Toyota?, probably, did a lot, introducing hybrid technologies not only in its low-cost models, but also in Lexus premium cars. Here is one of them, a premium luxury hybrid of business class, the 2017 Lexus ES 300h. This is not your regular electric hybrid car, it is a Lexus!
2017 Lexus ES 300h
Front engine, front-wheel drive
Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable 2-speed CVT w/OD and auto-manual
2.5 liter, In-line 4-cylinder aluminum block and cylinder heads
156 hp @ 5,700 rpm (engine alone)
156 lb.-ft @ 4,500 rpm (engine alone)
Fuel tank capacity
Fuel economy MPG
Combined Estimated MPG
40 city / 39 HWY
At the New York Auto Show there was a presentation of not only gasoline versions of the Lexus ES, 6th generation sedan, but also the hybrid modification 2017 Lexus ES 300h, which appeared in the model line for the first time in their long history.
In 2015, a motor show in Shanghai debuted a modernized hybrid of the 2017 Lexus ES 300h that received changes in a similar vein with its traditional counterparts.
First in the hybrid arena appeared the Toyota Camry, which already in the first generation (from 1982 to 1986) won the glory of a comfortable and reliable car, conquering the American consumer. At the same time, the Toyota/Lexus corporation was thinking of a separate premium brand, which was embodied a quarter of a century ago under the brand Lexus. And found a way out – they took the proven Toyota as the basis and converted it into Lexus. Thus, minimizing financial and time costs, and at the same time using proven components – this is the usual world practice for all serious manufacturers. Therefore, the first Lexus ES 250 in 1989 was, in fact, the second generation of the Camry V20 sedan, just more luxurious. But much more profitable in the price of the flagship model Lexus LS 400, which the Japanese have opened a new brand.
And the brand Lexus created for the American market thanks to successful models and the competent policy of the company has gained success not only in the USA. Over time, official representations appeared in other countries, and today Lexus is sold in 70 countries around the world.
2017 Lexus ES 300h this is hybrid sedan for true connoisseurs of luxury and elegance, but the company has prepared no less luxurious prices.
|2017 Lexus ES 300h||starting at $41.820|
The body parameters of the 2017 Lexus ES 300h are as follows: length – 4900 mm, of which 2820 mm the wheelbase fits, width – 1820 mm, height – 1450 mm, clearance – 151 mm. Because of the features of the power plant, the car is somewhat heavier than the ES 250 and ES 350 is 1765 kg in running order.
In general, the 2017 Lexus ES 300h looks much more elegant than the Camry and similar to the GS but does not copy it, here is the compact rear lid spoiler, a modified rear bumper and other wheel discs.
• Blue hybrid badging
• Crisp, high-shouldered cut-line along flanks
• Distinctive wrap-around LED taillamps
• Hidden exhaust
• Integrated foglamps
• LED headlamps with partially separated DRLs
• Lip spoiler
• Shark fin antenna
• Side mirrors with integrated turn signals
• One piece spindle grille design with incorporated Lexus logo
• Unique 17-inch alloy wheels
Body Structure and Paint
• Anti-chip paint on lower body panels
• Exterior colors (10): Matador Red Mica, Eminent White Pearl, Silver Lining Metallic, Nebula Gray Pearl, Obsidian, Satin Cashmere Metallic, Autumn Shimmer, Nightfall Mica, Atomic Silver, Caviar
• PVC sealer and undercoating
• Use of sound dampening paint type and asphalt sheets in floor pan
• Heavy duty rear window defogger with timer
• Moonroof (with tilt and slide)
• Rain sensing wipers with de-icer
• Washer linked intermittent wipers with timer
This is the quietest salon of all the Lexus. No one millimeter of the body panel has escaped from the engineers who made noise insulation, and in the windows there are special three-layer acoustic glasses. It’s as wide as the GS and a bit longer, so you can rest assured – you will have plenty of space behind you to stretch out or put your foot on your leg. By the way, if you sit at the boss’s place, then without getting up you can move forward the front passenger’s chair to become even more roomy.
Be careful, because inside the 2017 Lexux ES 300h everything is done to separate you from reality.
• Assist grips (4): two front and two rear
• Contrast stitching on Instrument Panel
• Interior colors: Flaxen, Stratus Gray, Black, Parchment
• Interior trim: Linear Dark Mocha Wood, Illustrious Piano Black, Matte Honey Bamboo and Espresso Bird’s-Eye Maple
• Metallic and leather-trimmed shift knob with leather boot
• Three-spoke steering wheel with audio, multi-information display controls
• Rear coat hooks (2)
• Piano black trim for instrument panel, doors, door switch plates, and upper console
• 10-way power adjustable front seats (power fore/aft slide, recline, front and rear vertical cushion height and lumbar)
• Front seatback pockets
• Height adjustable front shoulder belt anchors
Instrumentation and Controls
• Automatic climate control display: fan speed and air flow indicators
• Battery, oil level, seat belt, brake, airbag SRS, side airbag SRS, engine, oil pressure, low fuel, tire pressure and tire slippage (with TRAC) warning lights
• Cruise control indicator lamps
• Drive mode select with Eco/Normal, EV and Sport modes
• Eco Drive indicator
• Headlights-on indicator in instrument panel
• LCD type electronic digital twin trip meters and odometer display
• Optitron® gauges
• Scheduled maintenance indicator light
• VSC cutoff switch
• Analog clock
• Electrochromic auto-dimming interior mirror
• First aid kit
• Glow-in-the-dark emergency interior trunk release handle
• Heated external mirrors
• HomeLink® programmable garage door opener
• Illuminated entry system: front and rear seating areas, engine start button, driver and front passenger foot-well areas and exterior mirror puddle lamp areas
• Illuminated gas and trunk release buttons
• LED license plate illumination and interior illumination
• Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) to allow certain electronic settings to be tailored to owner preference (programmable by Lexus dealers)
• 4.2-inch color TFT Multi-Information Display
• Personal lamps (2)
• Puddle lamp illumination (from bottom of exterior side-view mirrors)
• Siri Eyes Free Mode – (iPhone® 4S, iPhone 5 and newer)
• Call contacts
• Select and play music from iTunes®
• Hear and compose text messages and emails
• Hear sports scores, stock info. and weather
• Use maps and get directions (turn-by-turn navigation can be requested through Siri and Apple maps); map displayed on phone screen
• Perform POI searches
• Requested search info. read back to driver over vehicle audio system (iPhone screen remains blank)
• Read notifications
• Read calendar information; Add reminders, calendar appointments and notes
• SmartAccess door unlock settings (unlock driver’s door only or unlock all four doors): settings can be changed by simultaneously pressing the unlock and lock buttons on the key fob for six seconds
• SmartAccess with push-button start/stop
• Tool kit
Safety and security
The security system of the new 2017 Lexus ES 300h, starting with 10 standard airbags, offers a range of auxiliary safety enhancing systems rarely seemed.
For fans of the Lexus who have long been known, the manufacturer did the best in safety features.
• ALR/ELR seatbelt function for all seating positions except driver (driver’s only equipped with ELR)
• Child Restraint System (CRS) top tether anchor brackets
• Child restraint seat lower anchor location Indicator Buttons
• Collapsible steering column
• Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
• Direct Tire Pressure Monitor System
• Driver and front passenger knee Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbags
• Driver and front passenger dual-stage front airbag SRS
• Energy-absorbing soft upper headliner and pillars
• Front and rear door side-impact beams
• Front and rear energy-managing crumple zones
• Front and rear side curtain airbags SRS
• Front and rear seat-mounted side airbag SRS
• Front ventilated and rear solid disc brakes with tandem brake booster and four-sensor, four-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist (BA) and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
• Height adjustable front shoulder belt anchors
• Impact-absorbing door and body construction
• Lexus Safety System+
• Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
• High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
• Intelligent High Beam (IHB)
• Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist
• Occupant Classification system for front passenger seat
• Three-point seat belts for all seating positions, front and rear outboard with force limiting pretensioners
• Traction Control (TRAC)
• Twin-chamber front passenger SRS airbag
• Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
• Entry system with lock, two-stage unlock, trunk open and “panic” features, volume adjustable confirmation tone and rolling code technology
• Headlight-off delay feature (after locking vehicle, headlights remain illuminated for approximately 30 seconds before automatically shutting off)
• Remote-activated, SmartAccess-linked illuminated entry (dome-light ring illuminates when doors are unlocked, remains illuminated for 15 seconds or until door is opened)
• Lexus Enform Safety Connect with Automatic Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location, Emergency Assist Button, and Enhanced Roadside Assistance (complimentary one-year trial subscription included)
• Vehicle theft-deterrent system with engine immobilizer
2017 Lexus ES 300h is a premium hybrid car, it brings features hard to find in other hybrid cars, luxury as it best with the backup of Lexus. The sixth generation of Lexus ES for the first time in the history of the model, larger then the Camry.
Many safety features like Blind Spot Monitor system, which suggests a danger during changing strip, as well as the Line Departure Warning Strip, of course Lexus is famous for offering everything at once, very functional and user-friendly options.
Security systems at full, a large hard disk navigation system, a color 8-inch monitor, various electric drives, a DVD player and much more are available for all versions of the ES 300h.
The difference in price is largely due to the equipment of the rear row and interior trim. Price of standard package starting at $41.820, not bad for an eco-luxury Lexus.