2017 Toyota Highlander SE
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Marco Carvajal
The main attractive of this car is not luxury or elegant details, it is a car designed for drivers who want to have power and strong control of their SUV in all roads
2017 Toyota Highlander SE
V6 Front-Wheel Drive (FWD)
Hybrid 3.5-Liter V6 Double Overhead Cam (DOHC) 24-Valve direct-injection Atkinson-cycle-capable engine with VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Wide) intake and VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with intelligence) exhaust
Direct-Shift-8AT, 8-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) and sequential shift mode with Dynamic Rev Management, Snow Mode and uphill/downhill shift logic
185 hp @ 5800 rpm
184 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm
21city/27 hwy Estimated MPG
The 2017 Toyota Highlander SE is a strong and powerful SUV made for all roads. It has a lot of nice features and nice details in the interior, but the main attractive of this car is not luxury or elegant details, it is a car designed for drivers who want to have power and strong control of their SUV in all roads. As I drive the 2017 Highlander I feel the power, the solid and strong construction made by Toyota. This is a great automobile for those who like adventure, power, and need to drive into many type of roads, especially bad roads, mountains, farms, beach, anything that requires a lot of power. It also offers a lot of space as it can take up to 8 passengers.
Kiichiro Toyoda founded Toyota Motor Corporation and the automotive Toyota Group. The idea of his own business goes back to the time, when he used to assist his father’s carpentry business, and decided to find a way of improving the batten-equipped tall loom.
In 1890, Sakichi moved to Yokohama to apply a patent for his renewed hand loom design, traveling to the patent office in Tokyo to file the necessary application. It was a wooden handloom and the patent application was accepted in November that year, and was awarded patent No. 1195, “Loom”, the following year on May 14, 1891.
June 1933, he started to prepare for the new Automotive Production Division and sent his director to the U.S. and Europe to buy machine tools for automotive production that had been studied beforehand and concentrated his efforts on a design that used common parts, so that customers could use service parts for the Ford and Chevrolet vehicles that were prevalent in Japan at the time. The very first SB truck was launched in April 1947, small truck equipped with the S engine.
Up to present time, Toyota keep constantly searching for better decisions, improvements and details to make Toyota admires satisfied. Another proof is the new 2017 Toyota Highlander SE an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle II (ULEV II), with permanent magnet synchronous motors drive front and rear wheels. It also impresses with Electric Power Steering (EPS); power-assisted rack-and-pinion and heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, supplemental transmission oil cooler and 150-amp alternator. Highlanders spacious interior provides much space to seat up to eight people, moreover, it has an available 5000-lb. towing capacity to accommodate everything you need for a long trip.
Prices and versions
The new 2017 Toyota Highlander Is available on 8 models, which mainly differ with engine and trim type.
|2017 Toyota Highlander SE||$39,690|
Base Price for this car is $39,690 + delivery charge
All-new Hybrid 3.5-Liter V6 Double Overhead Cam (DOHC) 24-Valve direct-injection Atkinson-cycle-capable engine with VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Wide) intake and VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with intelligence) exhaust is a brilliant duet of power and efficiency.
- Horespower 185 hp @ 5800 rpm
- Torque184 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm
- Fuel tank(gal.) 19.2
- Fuel economy 21city/27 hwy Estimated MPG
The 2017 Highlander is hardily stunning with aggressively styled exterior. A huge front grille, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and available dark-black-accent headlights can impress anyone with the first glance.
- Projector-beam halogen dark-black-accent headlights w/LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and auto on/off feature
- Headlight-integrated LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with on/off feature
- Integrated fog lights
- LED taillights and stop lights
- Color-keyed heated power outside mirrors with turn signal lights and blind spot warning indicators, and folding features
- Color-keyed outside door handles
- Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade and jam protection
- 19-in. multi-spoke machined alloy wheels with black finish and black center caps with P245/55R19 105S tires
- Color-keyed rear spoiler with LED center high-mount stop light
Dark-painted roof rails
- Washer-linked variable intermittent windshield wipers and intermittent rear wiper, windshield wiper de-icer
- UV reduction glass on all windows
A high-class interior has enough space for up to eight, five USB ports for charging on the go, a ton of cargo space and other details to make any trip both comfortable and convenient:
- Three-zone automatic climate control with air filter, separate second-row control panel, individual temperature settings for driver, front passenger and rear-seat passengers, and second- and third-row vents
- Integrated backup camera with projected path
- 2-in. color LCD Multi-Information Display
- Rear-seat Blu-ray Disc entertainment system with 9-in. display, RCA jacks, remote and two wireless headphones
- Leather-trimmed front- and second-row seats; heated front seats; 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat including power thigh support and lumbar support; 4-way power-adjustable front passenger seat; second-row captain’s chairs with side table
- Gated shift lever with silver metallic/leather-trimmed knob
- Optitron instrumentation with blue-illuminated speedometer and tachometer/hybrid system power meter
- Smart Key System on front doors and liftgate with Push Button Start and remote keyless entry system with illuminated entry
- Power windows with driver and front passenger auto up/down and jam protection
- Power door locks with shift-linked automatic lock/unlock feature
- Digital clock
- Driver Easy Speak — driver voice amplification
Standard Toyota Safety Sense is a standard complex package of safety options, which includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), and other systems:
- Star Safety System includes
- Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC)
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA)
- Smart Stop Technology(SST)
- Driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)
- Driver and front passenger seatbelt warning sensor
- Stop and Start Engine System (S&S)
- Collapsible steering column
- Child-protector rear door locks
If you want to drive a powerful and large SUV with a price of less than $40,000, then the highlander is a great choice for you. It has space for 8 passengers, tons of power, you will be able to drive it on almost any road with confidence.
The 2017 Highlander was created to go to places. Especially it concerns big families, as this car has enough room up to 8 people. Plus, there is much additional space for luggage and everything you need for a long trip.
Speaking of advantages, the Highlander shows a perfect combination of comfort, powerful and efficient engine, moderate style and secure safety system. Style and luxury is not the main attraction of the 2017 highlander but still it has a nice interior and design.