2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Marco Carvajal
In 2010, introducing the concept of Shinari in Paris – the prototype of Mazda6 next generation, Mazda breathed life into the overall design concept – “KODO – the soul of movement.” In 2012, the first serial model, which embodying a complex of Skyactiv technologies, comes off the assembly line. A new era of the Mazda brand begins from this moment. That was the early stage for the Mazda 6, today the 2017 Mazda 6 Gand Touring will impress the most demanding car drivers.
2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
Front-Wheel Drive (FWD)
SKYACTIV-Drive 6-Speed automatic (Straight Shifter)
2.5L SKYACTIV-G DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with VVT
184 hp 5700 rpm
185 lb-ft @ 3250 rpm
Fuel tank capacity
27 city / 35 HWY
The 2017 Mazda6 is an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety “Top Safety Pick Plus” when equipped with available Smart City Brake Support7 and Adaptive Front-lighting System.
— IIHS | December 2016
I start to test drive the Mazda6 2017 and I become impressed with this beautiful car. I love it!, I can’t stop to drive it, it is a very addictive automobile, the more you drive it, the more you want it. Everything feels right, especially the luxury and comfortable interior.
The updated 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring received a number of improvements, which became the result of many years of research by Mazda. They relate to technologies that provide reliability and security, as well as new dynamic characteristics. Particular attention is drawn to the adaptive motion control system G-Vectoring Control, which is the first result of the new global concept of Skyactiv-Vehicle Dynamics, with the main goal – to strengthen the sense of unity of the car and the driver. If earlier the work of the engine, transmission and chassis were controlled separately, now GVC provides integrated control of these three elements.
The car is stable and feels confidently on any conditions – on a slippery or snow-covered road, when entering a turn or maneuvering.
The company Mazda was founded in 1920 under the name of Toyo Kogyo. In the 1920s, she produced machines for numerous industries in Japan. However, due to low incomes, it was decided to shift its focus to vehicles.
During the bombing of Hiroshima by an American atomic bomb, have been damaged a share of production capacity and killed 400 workers. Nevertheless, in December 1945, Toyo Kogyo continued the production of tricycles. The first 4-wheel trucks Mazda Romper appeared in 1958.
In 1984, Toyo Kogyo officially took the name Mazda, which is in tune with the name of the founder of the concern – Dzujiro Matsuda, and also it is a tribute to Ahura Mazda – the Iranian-Zoroastrian god of wisdom.
Mazda introduced several new cars in 1985, including new versions of the Mazda RX-7 and 626. By 1987, the company produced 20 million vehicles.
Pricing & Versions
The appearance in the gamma “SIX” diesel versions has opened an additional way for attracting buyers. And – what is very important – allowed the car to enter a new level of competition with European sedans of its segment, they are almost all available in performance with a diesel engine.[su_table]
|2017 Mazda6 Grand Touring||Starting at $30,695|
Light restyling brought the 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring a slight cosmetic update of the exterior, but the equipment expanded much more: available full-LED auto-leveling headlights also received a redesigned grille, headlights and tail lights.
- LED Headlights with automatic on/off and auto-leveling
- Adaptive Front-lighting System
- High Beam Control
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- LED Fog Lights
- Rain sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers
- Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade
- Body colored power side mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Heated side mirrors with driver’s side auto-dimming
- Body-colored door handles
- Integrated rear-window antenna
- LED Combination Taillights
- LED Grille Accent Lighting
- Rear decklid spoiler
- Dual exhaust outlets with chrome tips
The updated interior design of the 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring significantly improved the presence, not only with elegance, but with convenience and functionality – a slightly modified steering wheel with a rim heated in the area of permanent grip.
2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring features a more selective active display, capable of reading traffic signs and recognizing pedestrians, allowing drivers to concentrate more on driving.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter
- Power windows with one-touch auto up/down
- Power automatic door locks
- Cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls
- Electronic Parking brake
- Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry
- Remote release for trunk, hood and fuel door
- Push-button start
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink
- Driver and passenger-side illuminated covered visor vanity mirrors
- LED Map Lights front and rear
- Tilt & telescopic steering column
- 12-volt power outlets (2)
- Rear window defogger
AUDIO & INFOTAINMENT
- 7″ Full-color touch screen display
- Bose® Centerpoint® 2 Surround Sound audio system with AudioPilot® 2 and 11 speakers
- Bluetooth®24 hands-free phone and audio streaming capability
- Mazda Navigation System
- Speedometer, tachometer and fuel gauge
- Full-color Active Driving Display
- Outside temperature
- Multi-Information Display (MID) with trip computer
The cabin of the Mazda6 sport sedan is designed to envelop you in refinement, with a large center console and a sleek dash and instrument panel that complement the Mazda6’s available leather-trimmed sport seats.
Particular attention is drawn to the Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR), also modernized the Smart City Brake Support system: it recognizes a person at speeds of 4-30 km / h, and other vehicles on the road – at speeds of 4 to 80 km / h. In case of danger, the 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring brakes until it stops. The projection screen now in color displays the signs and route laid by the navigation system, so the information is easier to read
The blind zone monitoring system works when the vehicle is moving. On the corresponding side mirror of rear view, the danger symbol lights up, and on the transparent display in front of the driver – the pictogram from the side of the passing car.
- Advanced front air bags with seat belt-use, passenger-weight sensors
- Front seat-mounted side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains
- 3-point seat belts for all seating positions
- Front seat-belt pretensioners with force limiters
- Foldaway brake pedal assembly
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Smart City Brake Support
- Hill Launch Assist
- Rearview Camera
- Smart Brake Support with Collision Warning
- Lane Departure Warning
- Lane-keep Assist
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Close Proximity Warning
- Distance Recognition Support System
- Traffic Sign Recognition
- Alarm system
- Engine-immobilizer antitheft system
- Trunk entrapment release system
- Keyless remote panic button (on key fob)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- LATCH child safety seat anchors & upper tethers
- Child safety rear door locks
The 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring is a great car to own and drive. Beautiful, fast and powerful.
Priced at 30K plus, it is a great value. It feels much more expensive. I recently drove a Mercedes Benz and BMW sedan, and the Mazda6 feels very competitive against those luxury brands. It has a beautiful interior and exterior. The 184 HP engine is fast and responsive enough for most city and highways. Mazda’s efforts to offer new technologies have been successful on this Mazda6.
The steering wheel rests pleasantly in the hands and responds to every movement very efficiently. The suspension feels great smooth and soft. The Mazda 6 can safely hold any speed. New leader seats made of snow-white leather make you love it even more – the Mazda 6 is a winner.
The main goal of the Japanese brand, is to keep an acceptable good price for all models of the brand. Starting with a price of $30,695, this model creates serious competition in the American market when compared to other sedans.