2017 Lexus IS 350 AWD
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Marco Carvajal
I am test driving the IS 350 through the snowy and wet roads of New Jersey and Philadelphia, the all wheel drive, 306 horse power and the 277 Lb-ft torque, help me to keep absolute control of the 350 while driving under difficult weather conditions.
The premiere of the IS sedans took place in early 2005 in the U.S. and Europe.
The 2017 IS 350 the top luxury model for the IS luxury sedan lineup. It is a beautiful sport-sedan, with a powerful V6 engine, a well designed interior with trimmings everywhere, and very soft and smooth to drive.
2017 Lexus IS 350 AWD
Front engine, all-wheel drive
6-speed automatic with intelligence (ECT-i) with steering wheelmounted paddle shifters
3.5 liters DOHC 24 valve V6
306 @ 6,400 rpm
277 lb.-ft. @ 4,800 rpm
Fuel economy MPG
Combined Estimated MPG
19 city / 26 HWY
The Lexus IS 350 is a great sedan to own, even with its known premium brand name “Lexus” it has a low price starting around $43,000. But it feel much more expensive. It comes with a powerful engine V6, sharp reflexes on corners, aggressive appearance and many technological gadgets.
The North American family of the Lexus 2017 IS includes a few different models/trims. The IS 350 is a combination of comfort and refinement for those who want an sporty car with an elegant look. Besides look, all wheel drive is perfect for all weather and all type of roads, and just in case you like to feel like superman, it comes with the power of 306 horses pulling from its V6 engine. This comfortable and luxurious sedan is like fire for those who love fast, beautiful and precise cars.
While traveling in the north, I am test driving the IS 350 through the snow and wet roads of New Jersey and Philadelphia. I feel satisfied driving a luxury but also powerful car. The all wheel drive, 306 horse power and the 277 Lb-ft torque, help me to keep absolutely control of the 350 while driving under difficult weather conditions.
Lexus is the luxury brand of Toyota. In 1985 the first Lexus came off Toyota’s assembly line, which later became the LS400 model.
In 1989 Lexus launched with two sedans, the LS 400 and ES 250, and a commitment to pursue perfection. In a year, out of thousands of parties were interested in a Lexus franchise, but only 121 top-notch dealers were selected for Lexus’ first year of business. In 1991 Lexus introduced an all-new ES 330 as well as the SC 300 and SC 300 sport coupes.
Since that time, Lexus has expanded its line-up to meet the needs of global luxury customers. In every vehicle, Lexus incorporates innovative technologies, high-quality designs and luxury materials. With numerous models featuring Lexus Hybrid Drive, Lexus is the luxury hybrid leader and is dedicated to developing vehicles that are kinder to the Earth. Lexus’ current vehicles incorporate outstanding driving dynamic characteristics and feature a new design language that includes a spindle grille and distinctive lights, creating a signature look and feel for the luxury brand.
Lexus outsold both Mercedes-Benz and BMW to become the best-selling luxury import brand in the U.S. In the United States.
Pricing & Versions
Most people enjoy and look at Lexus as a great car to own, but for many buyers, the price is an obstacle as Lexus is not an inexpensive brand, however the IS350 has a great value price, you get the premium luxury brand of Lexus, a powerful and beautiful car, for a very reasonable price around $43,000
|2017 Lexus IS 350 AWD||Staring at $43.535|
|2017 Lexus IS 350 AWD F SPORT||Staring at $46,250|
There are a few packages available. Specially designed for the Lexus IS 350, there is available the package F-Sport with a lot of nice features – sports suspension, a special steering wheel and larger rear wheels with a diameter of 18 inches.
|Package Premium||• Back-up camera with dynamic grid lines
• Heated/ventilated seats
|Package Premium Plus||• Rain-sensing wipers
• Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel
|Luxury Package||• Back-up camera with dynamic grid lines
• Heated steering wheel
• Intuitive Parking Assist
• Rain-sensing wipers
• Leather trimmed interior with contrast stitching
• Outside rear-view mirror functions (electrochromic, memory, reverse tilt-down)
• Seat heater/ventilation
• Two position memory – Driver’s seat, mirrors and steering column
• Wood trim
|F SPORT||• Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with SPORT+ driving mode (IS 350 only)
• Aluminum sport pedals
• Back-up camera with dynamic grid lines
• Black headliner
• F SPORT 10-way driver (includes power lumbar) / eight-way passenger power heated sport seats with
• F SPORT 18-inch split five-spoke wheels with summer or all-season tires
• F SPORT badging (side and rear)
• F SPORT tuned suspension
• Heated and ventilated seats
• High-friction(μ) brake pads
• Intake sound generator (not available on IS 200t)
• LFA inspired TFT instrumentation
• Perforated leather steering wheel with F SPORT logo and shift knob
• Silver performance trim
• Stainless steel scuff plates with Lexus logo
• Twin projector LED Headlamps (low and high beam)
• Unique front fascia and grille (F SPORT package deletes foglamps)
• Unique rear bumper
• Lexus Enform Remote – Allows customers to remotely view and control certain aspects of their Lexus vehicle via a
mobile application for iOS and Android smartphone users. Lexus Enform Remote application is separate from
Lexus Enform App Suite application (not on head unit). Requires Lexus Enform Safety Connect and Lexus Enform
Remote subscription (one-year trial subscriptions included); and Navigation. Customers must register for service.
Provides: Ability to use with multiple Lexus vehicles; email and push notifications; Guest Driver Monitor; Remote
Door Lock/Unlock; Remote Pre-HVAC; Vehicle Finder; Vehicle Status Report; Vehicle Alerts.
• Lexus Enform Service Connect – Allows customers to remotely view information about certain aspects of their
Lexus vehicle via MyLexusandBeyond mobile application for iOS smartphone users or LexusDrivers.com. Lexus
Enform Service Connect application is separate from Lexus Enform App Suite application (not on head unit).
Requires Lexus Enform Safety Connect and Lexus Enform Service Connect subscription (complimentary one-year
trial subscription included). Customers must register for service.
• Vehicle Health Report – Email and push notifications
• Maintenance Alerts – Email and push notifications
The IS has a voluminous and muscular appearance exterior, powered by V6 and all-wheel drive. It is definitely a beautiful sedan.
In general, the Lexus IS 350 keeps the same style and shape, however there have been some stylish changes in the front of the car: new grille, LED headlights, while the back of the IS comes with different tail lights and several sporty details.
The new 17-inch alloy wheels looks sporty and modern.
Overall Exterior Styling/Body Design
• 17-inch wheels (IS 200t and 300); New 18-inch wheels (IS 350 only)
• Color coordinated front airdam
• Color-keyed shark fin antenna for SiriusXM Satellite Radio (complimentary 90-day trial subscription)
• LED brake, tail and license plate lamps
• Moonroof (power tilt and retract)
• Revised front bumper, grille, rear combination lamps and exhaust diffusers
• Revised rear bumper and unique F SPORT treatment
• Side mirrors with integrated turn signals and puddle lamps
• Standard LED headlamps
Body Structure and Paint
• 10 Exterior colors: Eminent White Pearl, Obsidian, Silver Lining Metallic, Atomic Silver, Nebula Gray Pearl,
Redline, Caviar, and Nightfall Mica. Exclusive to F SPORT models: Ultrasonic Blue Mica and Ultra White
• Flush surface body panel and glass
• Galvanized steel used in all areas of the body except the passenger compartment and the roof
• One-piece color-keyed Super Olefin Polymer front and rear bumpers
• PVC sealer and undercoating
• Use of sound dampening asphalt sheets in roof and floor pan
• Heated outside rearview mirrors
• SmartAccess with push button start
The interior of the IS, is richly flavored with beautiful wood trims. This wood design looks very appealing and elegant.
The forms, proportions and location of the interior elements have not changed. As you enter the IS350 you will have a feeling of style ergonomics and attractiveness.
I love the large buttons that frame the display-touchscreen, it is a good mix between digital and manual control. The location of the stability control buttons and transmission modes are under the steering wheel.
• Audio panel finish
• Chateau, Nuance Black and Illustrious Piano Black trim (Base), Gray Sapele Wood (Luxury Package) or
Silver Performance trim (F SPORT)
• Covered palm rest
• Fabric sun visors and headliner
• Floor mats
• Front and rear articulating assist grips
• Interior colors: Black, Chateau, Flaxen, Nuance Black and for F SPORT package models, Black, Chateau
and Rioja Red
• NuLuxe trimmed seating
• Front seatback pockets
• Heated front seats (AWD only)
• Height adjustable front shoulder belt anchors
• 60/40 split folding rear seat
Instrumentation and Controls
• Analog clock, exterior temperature gauge
• Battery, oil level, seat belt, brake, airbag SRS, side airbags SRS, engine, oil pressure, low fuel, tire pressure
and tire slippage (with TRAC) warning lights
• DC outlet and 1 AUX and 2 USB jacks in console box
• Door open, TRAC off, high beam, hazard and cruise control indicator lights
• Headlights-on indicator in instrument panel
• LCD-type electronic digital twin trip meters and odometer display (non-F SPORT only)
• LFA inspired TFT combination meter (F SPORT only)
• Optitron gauges featuring a 160-mph speedometer, 8,000-rpm tachometer, fuel and coolant temp gauges
(non-F SPORT only)
• Scheduled maintenance indicator light
• Revised design for steering wheel switchgear
• Articulating assist grips (two front/two rear)
• Bluetooth® wireless phone technology
• Covered center console storage box
• Cruise control
• Cupholder design
• Door courtesy lights, glove box light and trunk light
• Dust/pollen interior air filter
• Electrochromic rearview mirror with compass (without Navigation)
• First aid kit
• Front and rear dome light and individual map lights integrated into headliner
• Front center armrest
• HomeLink programmable garage door opener
• Illuminated outside mirror button controls
• Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) to allow certain electronic settings to be tailored to owner preference
(programmable by Lexus dealers)
• Manual tilt and telescoping adjustable steering wheel
• Power door locks with anti lock-out
• Power windows with auto up/down with jam protection
• Rear armrest with storage box
• Remote trunk lid release
• Retained accessory power for operation of power windows and moonroof
• Retractable coat hooks
• Siri Eyes Free Mode – (iPhone 4S and later)
• Call contacts
• Select and play music from iTunes®
• Hear and compose text messages and emails
• Hear sports scores, stock info. and weather
• Use maps and get directions (turn-by-turn navigation can be requested through Siri and Apple maps);
map displayed on phone screen
• Perform POI searches
• Requested search info. read back to driver over vehicle audio system (iPhone screen remains blank)
• Read notifications
• Read calendar information; Add reminders, calendar appointments and notes
• Stainless steel scuff plates (front doors)
• Speed-sensitive, shift-linked automatic door lock/unlock
Increasing the safety of the driver, passengers and other road users is always the number one task of Lexus Safety System.
• Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) and Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) function for all positions except
driver (driver’s only equipped with ELR)
• Lexus Safety System+ now standard
• Pre-Collision System
• Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
• Intelligent High Beam
• Hi-speed Adaptive Cruise Control
• Three-point belts for all seating positions, including center rear, front and outboard rear with force-limiting
pretensioners; height adjustable front shoulder belt anchors
• Child Restraint Seat (CRS) top tether anchor brackets (adopted to comply with phase-in of the new CRS
Anchorage Points Regulation)
• LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
• Location specific Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
• Front and rear door side impact beams
• Front and rear energy-managing crumple zones
• Impact absorbing door and body construction
• Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) – Driver’s and front passenger’s airbag, Driver’s and front
passenger’s knee airbag, Front seat-mounted side airbag, Front and rear (2) side curtain airbags and Rear
• Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
• Traction Control (TRAC)
• Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) with cut-off switch
• Entry system with lock, two-stage unlock, trunk open and “panic” features, volume-adjustable confirmation
tone and rolling code technology
• Headlight-off delay feature (after locking vehicle, headlights remain illuminated for approximately 30
seconds before automatically shutting off)
• Multifunction in-key remote
• Remote-activated, SmartAccess-linked illuminated entry (dome-light ring illuminates when doors are
unlocked, remains illuminated for 15 seconds or until door is opened)
• Lexus Enform Safety Connect with Automatic Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location, Emergency
Assist Button, and Enhanced Roadside Assistance (complimentary one-year trial subscription included)
• Vehicle theft-deterrent system with engine immobilizer
The Lexus IS 350 is a sporty and compact luxury sedan, with a low price compare to other market players. It is powerful with a V6 306 horse power engine. The interior is very beautiful and elegant with leather and wood trims. The exterior is very attractive, sporty, trendy and somehow elegant at the same time, it has a beautiful shape.
Some of the main features of the IS are a retractable hatch, front seat ventilation, cruise control with dynamic radar, front lighting adjustment and rear-view camera. The magnificent audio system of the basic equipment can be supplemented to a stunning installation with a power of 300 watts, designed by the famous audio maker Mark Levinson. This audio system comes with 10 separate channels of amplifiers support for all the possibilities of audio-DVD.
I drove this car in New Jersey and Philadelphia under bad weather with rain and snow, and at all times I felt safe and with absolute control of the road, with this beautiful luxury mobile machine designed by Lexus.