2017 Mazda MX-5 RF
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Katerina Krjanina
Being a member of the MX-5 family, the fourth-generation Mazda MX-5 RF represents the core value of “Lots of fun”, which the MX-5 has consistently produced over the past 26 years. Moreover, it features a new and unique design and lets consumers enjoy a new kind of open-air driving experience.
2017 Mazda MX- RF
SKYACTIV®-G 2.0L DOCH 16-valve 4-cylinder with VVT
6-speed Sport automatic transmission with paddle shifters
SKYACTIV MT 6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter
155 hp at 6,000rpm
148 lb-ft at 4,600rpm
155 horsepower at 6,000 rpm
P205/45 R17 high-performance tires
26 city/ 35 hwy estimated mpg
The 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF
By the end of the third-generation MX-5’s model life, the retractile hard top model falls on more than half of all MX-5s sold and was designed for those who wanted all-season comfort and practicality. Being a member of the MX-5 family, the fourth-generation Mazda MX-5 RF represents the core value of “Lots of fun”, which the MX-5 has consistently produced over the past 26 years. Moreover, it features a new and unique design and lets consumers enjoy a new kind of open-air driving experience. The challenge of Mazda was to create a proper name to define this new, more premium experience and attract a new kind of buyer, yet save the unchanging values that MX-5 fans have admired since the release of the model.
The result was 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF, a name that defines the model’s retractable hardtop and fastback design, and will certainly succeed with admires and drivers around the world. The MX-5 has been hugely popular with car around the world and soon it will raise to the 1 million in global production rate. With its exquisite fastback styling and a new open-top feel, the hardtop model has its own style and character.
Raises the roof like no other roadster
It’s the first time on the third-generation MX-5 that Mazda has offered a Power Retractable Hardtop. The first and second generations had both offered a detachable hardtop, but with its motor-driven retractable roof, the third-generation model made the joy of open-top driving accessible to more consumers and was a hit with enthusiasts all over the world.
Mazda MX-5 RF aimed to make the open-top driving more accessible, so we can see indeed how the designers and developers freed themselves from some traditional ways of thinking, creating something completely new. They wanted to create a convertible sports car with gorgeous fastback lines when the roof is closed and an exhilarating open-air feel when open.
As a result, the cabin is luxurious and quiet when closed, and the rear roof produces a completely new open-air driving feel when the top is down.
|2017 Mazda MX-5 RF||$31,555|
- SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter four-cylinder
- SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual transmission or six-speed
- automatic transmission available
- 55 horsepower at 6,000 rpm
- 148 lb-ft of torque at 4,600 rpm
- 2,445 lbs. weight
- 2,485 lbs. with six-speed automatic transmission
Together with the retractable back window glass, realizes a new open-air experience that combines a feeling of being ensconced securely in the cabin with a fabulous sense of freedom.
The main goal of the new 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF design was to achieve new roof styling, combined with a beautiful cabin, silhouette of a hardtop and the same level of open-air comfort, performed in the soft-top version. This uncompromising design comprises four main principles:
- A beautiful silhouette:While the overhead roof panels and back window glass are stowed out of sight, the rear roof stays in position when the top is down. This differs from any other hardtop model on the market to create a truly unique new design expression.
- Compact packaging: MX-5 RF saves the same length, width and wheelbase as the soft-top model, with the exception in a 5mm increase in the height of the roof.
- A new open-air experience:MX-5 RF features unique styling when the roof is open, making the overhead roof panels and back window glass set away out of sight. It results in a fabulous sense of freedom combined with a feeling of being wrapped securely in the cabin
- Independent trunk:The independent trunk secures the exact same luggage capacity as on the soft-top model.
The sides of the roof and rear roof match to the body color. The top of the roof is available in two different colors, piano black or the body color.
- Appealing fastback styling with a beautiful smooth line joining the roof to the rear end
- Sophisticated teardrop shape
- The MX-5 RF’s retractable hardtop consists of a front roof, middle roof, rear roof and back window glass.
- Together with the retractable back window glass, realizes a new open-air experience that combines a feeling of being ensconced securely in the cabin with a fabulous sense of freedom.
- Back window glass that retracts when the top is down enables the driver to fully enjoy the pleasing exhaust note coming from the rear, helping to deliver the true pleasure of the open-top driving experience.
- A large acrylic aero board wind blocker that helps prevent air from the rear blowing back into the cabin.
- Synchronizing and overlapping the various movements of the roof sections enables MX-5 RF to achieve one of the fastest opening/closing times of any retractable hardtop.
- A new power top lock makes it possible to open and close the roof with the simple flip of a switch
- A new control system enables the roof to be opened or closed, even when in motion at speeds of 6 mph (10km/h) or less
The interior of the new 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF was created so that all major controls were laid out in perfect symmetry, cockpit centered on the driver and all body panels usefully wrap around. Special attention is payed to each detail and focuses on transcending its existence as a plain automobile to become a sports car that people will adore. Due to its hardtop, MX-5 RF significantly lessen ride noise and heightens the feeling of high quality.
The soft touch of real Nappa leather adds a feeling of even higher quality and contributes to the relaxed, sophisticated ambience of the interior.
A quiet cabin with the relaxed feeling of quality ride
- The suspension and Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) system have been tuned specifically for the MX-5 RF, delivering the lively driving performance one expects of the Mazda MX-5 while also delivering relaxing comfort and refined ride.
- A sound-absorbing headliner used on the inside of the front and middle roof panels combines with sound insulation around the rear wheel housings to result in a significantly quieter ride when the roof is closed. This helps provide a high-quality cabin environment worthy of the MX-5 RF.
- A human-centric perspective was adopted in pursuing advanced safety based on the company’s safety philosophy, Mazda Proactive Safety.
- The i-ACTIVSENSE advanced safety technologies employed by MX-5 RF include Mazda’s Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring (ABSM) system and High Beam Control System (HBC), which automatically switches between high and low beam.
- MAZDA CONNECT makes it less distracting and easier to take advantage of phone and internet connectivity services while enjoying a drive.
- The soft touch of real Nappa leather adds a feeling of even higher quality and contributes to the relaxed, sophisticated ambience of the interior.
Safety and Security Highlights:
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- Lane Departure Warning System
- High Beam Control
- Adaptive Front Lighting System
- Rain-sensing wipers
The MX-5 is fun to drive, beautiful, comes with many nice features and is priced low
The MX-5 is fun to drive, beautiful, comes with many nice features and is priced low, something that our wallet appreciates!
The launch of the 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF will surely awake those hidden emotions and dormant sensibilities among car lovers. In order to achieve this, now and into the future, Mazda continue to surprise us putting their efforts to “innovate in order to preserve.”
Having an MX-5 makes life happy and exciting. With this small, convertible sports car, Mazda wants to offer a fun-filled life through driving delight.
Many people who appreciate a convertible end up choosing a car with a fixed hardtop roof for many reason including budget and practicality, but with the new 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF at a low price near $30,000 you can buy a fun sports convertible car without spending all your budget.