2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL 2.4 S-AWC
3 rows of seating and great low pricing
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Marco Carvajal & Yuliia Shulzhenko
The year 2017 was the anniversary of 100 years since the beginning of production for Mitsubishi Motors, which leads to the development of highly efficient and inexpensive new cars using their advanced knowledge.
There have been some ups and downs for this car manufacturer, but After 100 years of experience, Mitsubishi keeps surprising us with better and more efficient cars, especially SUVs, now the 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander is enhanced with new interior and exterior updates for a great driving experience of this popular three-row CUV (Crossover Utility Vehicle).
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander named insurance institute for highway safety award winner, earns an IIHS “top safety pick” rating
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL 2.4 S-AWC
Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC)
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
2.4L MIVEC SOHC 16-valve Inline 4-cylinder
166 @ 6,000 rpm
162 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm
Fuel Economy MPG
Combined Estimated MPG
25 City / 30 HWY
Who doesn’t know the Outlander? Mitsubishi has put a large successful effort to create a very good brand name the Outlander, most of us think of this CUV as a well built, strong, with medium almost large size, and especially know for an amazing low price compared to other similar CUVs in the same segment.
The Mitsubishi Outlander was originally introduced in Japan as the Mitsubishi Airtrek in 2001. It was based on the Mitsubishi ASX concept vehicle. The Outlander started as an effort from Mitsubishi to compete in the new growing SUV market, with a powerful all-season and off-road abilities four-wheel drive, but keeping car-like levels of emissions and economy.
The Outlander is without a question a great buy, however it is not the most loaded or trendy CUV you can buy, however for those who need something with more luxury and style then Mitsubishi has created the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, what is a great complement in Mitsubishi’s family of CUVs
The 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander is available in 5 trims. The ES 2.4, SE 2.4, LE 2.4, SEL 2.4 and the GT 3.0 S-AWC. I am test driving the SEL 2.4 S-AWC. With a smart and strategic marketing team, providing very good price range and 5 different models to choose in addition to packages and variations, Mitsubishi is giving everyone the opportunity to find their ideal SUV.
The 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander will please anyone with features like a 7″ touchscreen display audio unit with Bluetooth® wireless technology standard, Blind Spot Warning (BSW) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Lane Change Assist (LCA). I enjoy driving the Outlander with the power remote liftgate now standard on SEL trim, Multi-view camera system and heated steering wheel standard on GT version, LED headlights, multi-view camera system and heated steering wheel new to SE Premium Package.
The Touring Package includes Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Adaptive Cruise Control and automatic high beam for both SEL and GT trims.
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation is a Japanese multinational automotive manufacturer headquartered in Minato, Tokyo, Japan. Mitsubishi Motors is one of the biggest Japanese automakers.
Since 2016, Mitsubishi is one-third (34%) owned by Nissan. Therefore is now a part of the Renault–Nissan–Mitsubishi Alliance. This interesting alliance between Nissan and Mitsubishi is promising to bring a lot of technological benefits to both brands, as their budgets are being used in conjunction to create an improve on new automotive technologies.
There are 5 main different trims or models available for the 2018 Outlander. The ES 2.4, SE 2.4, LE 2.4, SEL 2.4 and the GT 3.0 S-AWC. The price range goes from $23,945 up to $32.245. I am test driving the SEL 2.4 S-AWC with an average price near 28K. I think that Mitsubishi is able to satisfy the needs and budgets of many U.S. car buyers with a very good price range. For those with a more limited budget but still wanting to own a large and strong CUV, the price near 24K is very good, it is less expensive than most other CUV competitors, actually with other brands, that could be the price just to buy an small compact car, but here you get a nice large CUV.
|2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL 2.4 S-AWC||Starting at $28.145|
If you have doubts about Mitsubishi’s quality and long lasting, then just take a look at their great warranty, 10 year/100K mile powertrain limited warranty will give confident to any skeptical car buyer.
- Fully transferable 5-year/60,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty
- 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty
- 7-year/100,000 mile anti-corrosion perforation limited warranty
- 5-year/unlimited mile roadside assistance
The 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander definitely looks better than its previous predecessors. The Outlander significantly benefits from the Mitsubishi’s latest visual improvements with a will distinguished unique style.
This country boy has a sporty look with large chrome, boomerang-shape angles, an aggressive front bumper, large air intakes and narrowed headlights with light diodes. On the edges of the bumper you can see the cool navigation lights. From the side on the door there are mirrors following the curves shape of the Outlander. On the back of the Outlander you can see new extended LED headlights.
The Outlander with its 3 rows of seating is a perfect car to go out with family and friends, for long journeys and also everyday using. It combines good style and athletic performance.
The 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL 2.4 S-AWC
- Super All-Wheel Control
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Lane Change Assist (LCA)
- Power remote liftgate
- FAST-Key passive entry system with push button start and panic feature
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Auto on/off headlights (standard on SEL, GT)
- LED headlights (available on SEL, standard on GT)
- LED positioning lights
- LED fog lights (available on SEL, standard on GT)
- Chrome grill accents
- Heated power side view mirrors
- Power folding side view mirrors (standard on SEL, GT)
- Power glass sunroof with sunshade and tilt feature (available on SE, SEL and standard on GT)
- Rain sensing and speed-sensitive variable intermittent front windshield wipers
- Shark fin antenna
- Power remote liftgate (standard on SEL, GT)
- Wiper de-icer standard on all AWC and S-AWC equipped Outlander vehicles
- Roof carrier plug-in accommodation
- Rear privacy glass
- Wheel arch moldings
- Front bumper silver accents
- Colors: Diamond White, Alloy Silver, Mercury Gray, Labrador Black, Cosmic Blue, Rally Red, and Quartz Brown
The interior 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL 2.4 S-AWC offers a new look. Leather interior with comfortable seats and leather door panel inserts, the steering wheel with multimedia management function, full electric trunk. Instrument panel with an on-board computer between the speedometer and the tachometer At the center of the dashboard you can enjoy large touch screen.
At the center of the dashboard you can enjoy a large 7″ touch screen
- Leather seating surfaces
- 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat
- 7.0” Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System
- Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Control
- 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat (standard on SEL and GT)
- Silver interior stitching
- Heated steering wheel (available on SEL, standard on GT)
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- Leather-wrapped shift knob (SE, SEL, GT)
- Heated front seats (standard on SE, SEL and GT)
- 7.0′ Touch panel display audio system (standard on ES trim)
- 7.0′ Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) system with enhanced SiriusXM® satellite radio with three month subscription, Apple CarPlay™ support and Android Auto™ (standard on SE, SEL and GT)
- Rearview camera system
- Multi-view camera system (available on SEL, standard on GT
- Eco indicator
- Front courtesy floor lamps
- 710-watt 9-speaker Rockford Fosgate® premium audio system (available on SEL, standard on GT)
- Bluetooth® wireless technology and steering wheel controls
- Electric parking brake standard on all S-AWC trims
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror with Homelink ® (standard on SEL, GT)
- High contrast, color multi-information display
- Gloss black shift and instrument panel
Engineers created the Mitsubishi Outlander equipped with state-of-the-art technology All-Wheel Control. It provides automatic distribution of torque power on each wheel independently, providing more power and great driving on the worst road conditions. This technology allows the Outlander to behave identically and adapt to the achievement of optimal driving performance in different road conditions.
Safety is one the most important details that distinguishes the Outlander from competitors. The impact-absorbing body frame together with other safety systems like AWC system, provide reliable protection.
- All-Wheel Control (AWC) 4WD system (2WD, 4WD, Lock modes) (available on ES)
- More sophisticated Super-All Wheel Control (S-AWC) 4WD system with Active Front Differential (AWC ECO, Normal, Snow, Lock modes) (available on SE, SEL, GT)
- Advanced seven (7) air bag SRS system including driver’s side knee airbag, dual-stage front airbags with occupant seat position sensors, front seat mounted side-impact airbags and front and rear curtain side airbags
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Lane Change Assist (LCA) (standard on SEL, GT)
- Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM) with Pedestrian Detection, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Automatic High Beam headlights (AHB) (available on SEL, GT)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Active Stability Control (ASC) with Traction Control Logic (TCL)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Engine immobilizer anti-theft security alarm system
- Child safety rear door locks
- Mitsubishi Motors’ patented Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) safety cell body construction
The 2018 Outlander is a great low price buy with a starting price near $24,000. New design, a long limited warranty, 3 rows, several safety features and 166 horse power makes this CUV ideal for those who like to have an spacious SUV for the price of a regular sedan. This crossover has many advantages, such as an upgraded and enlarged trunk, excellent aerodynamic performance, light weight in comparison with other models, increased level of safety and sound insulation.
The Outlander is an ideal car for the country side or the suburbs, providing power, space and an attractive style. However due to its nice convenient medium exterior size, it also can fit in small parking lots in the city center.
Mitsubishi has a potential to keep increasing the already good sales of the Outlander, just a little bit more of marketing and having people discover this CUV should bring success to the already successful Outlander.