The New Stylish CUV, the 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Marco Carvajal, Guy Spangenberg & Mitsubishi
Mitsubishi decided to use one of their well-know brand names, based on style history, technology and dynamics, the ECLIPSE returns! but this time it comes back as a modern and stylish Crossover Utility Vehicle (CUV). The 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross features as a medium-sized CUV with a bright and trendy design. The new eclipse cross also has its own Super All-Wheel Control system, a panoramic sunroof and a powerful direct turbine engine. Eclipse Cross provides advanced technology for a new class of consumers with very attractive starting price of $23,295 only.
|2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
1.5L MIVEC + Direct Injection Turbo Charger
152 HP @ 6,000 rpm
8-Speed CVT with Sport Mode
Available as 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive
Available at 15.8 to 16.6 Gallons
The new 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross is a beautiful stylish CUV. It has an amazing low price, for this type of beautiful car, from 23K-30K. I had the pleasure to travel to Malibu, California to meet Mitsubishi’s top executives and drive for the first time the new Eclipse Cross through California. One of my stops during this test drive was the Old Place Restaurant in the mountains outside of Malibu, California, known as one of Elvis Presley’s favorites spots to go out on the weekends. If Elvis was alive today, I am sure that he will buy 20 of these Eclipse Cross to give to his friends on their birthdays, as he was known for giving cars as a present on his friends B-days. Even sometimes he would buy a car as a present to unknown people he will meet at a car dealer.
If you want to have a beautiful CUV, the Eclipse Cross is a great choice. Just about 2 more months and it should be available in all Mitsubishi dealers in the U.S. in 2018, It is already available in Europe, it just came out of the oven!
With a reputation for fun and modern technology, the classic Eclipse sports car was one of Mitsubishi’s most popular and iconic cars ever. Now the Eclipse returns with driving dynamics and technology in the form of an CUV, the brand-new 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. Even if it is considered an CUV what is supposed to be a compact SUV, it doesn’t fell so compact. The spacious interior is very comfortable and you will almost feel as driving a larger SUV, perhaps the feeling of larger space comes from the great way in how the interior space is designed and organized.
The Eclipse Cross is a fusion of sharp large coupe and the dynamic mobility of an SUV, with Mitsubishi style, technology and driving confidence. The dynamic stylish coupe lines deliver a bold sporty stance, new distinctive LED lights and rear LED lights strike brightness gives to provide a clear vision. The way to your adventures and design brings safety together with a bright, sporty style.
Every detail is designed to raise your senses. Eclipse Cross from the impressive power of the panoramic sunroof and rear heated seats, to the turbo engine with direct injection, is truly impressive.
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation is a Japanese multinational automotive manufacturer headquartered in Minato, Tokyo, Japan, however when you look at the Eclipse Cross, it looks like an European SUV, not to far in beauty from the 2017 Porsche Cayenne, BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz cars. It is really beautiful and impressive, I almost can not believe that it is possible to buy this beautiful SUV for around $23,000 in the United States. It feels like a $40K+ car.
If I had to give a car as a present, I will definitely choose the Eclipse Cross, because it seems like a car that everybody can enjoy, it is better than a compact car but it is not huge. It is better than a large SUV, but it is not too small, it seems like having the perfect size and features. But I will definitely hide the the price..I don’t think that you could guess that my present costed only 23K…It looks much more expensive.
Features in the new 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
- Standard with a 1.5-liter direct-injection turbo power plant that offers a compelling combination of drivability, performance and efficiency
- Trendy coupe-like exterior styling in a CUV package
- 7.0″ Smartphone Link Thin-Display Audio (SDA) System with touchpad controller
- Mitsubishi Connect provides an enriched, more personalized driving experience, only available in the Eclipse Cross
- New Red Diamond exterior color
- Full color Head-Up Display (HUD) provides real-time vehicle information
- Equipped with Mitsubishi’s proprietary, advanced S-AWC (Super All-Wheel Control) system (standard on LE, SE and SEL trims; only $600 to step up on ES 2WD)
- Fusion of distinctive styling and SUV function with a starting MSRP of $23,295
The initial MSRP for Eclipse Cross is only $23,295.
The new 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross is available in 5 trims and the base model is available as a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive:
- ES 2WD
- ES S-AWC
- LE S-AWC
- SE S-AWC
- SEL S-AWC
S-AWC = Super All-Wheel Control system
2WD = 2 wheel drive.
The Eclipse Cross is well-equipped in the basic ES model, with very good standard included features like: heated side mirrors, rear spoiler, color multi-information screen, high contrast counters, Bluetooth wireless technology, steering wheel audio system and telephone management, rear view camera, cruise control, automatic climate control, electric locks and power windows, seven airbags and anti-theft alarm. I like that Mitsubishi decided to be generous on the features provided on the base model.
|Model||Drivetrain||Starting MSRP Price|
|2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross ES||2WD||$23,295|
|2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross ES||S-AWC||$23,895|
|2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross LE||S-AWC||$24,895|
|2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross SE||S-AWC||$26,395|
|2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross SEL||S-AWC||$27,895|
|2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross SEL Touring||S-AWC||$30,395|
|Warranty for the 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross:
Limited Powertrain Warranty
5-year/unlimited roadside assistance
The 10-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty coverage terms are from the original in-service dates, and are applicable only to the original owner of new, retailed models purchased from an authorized Mitsubishi dealer. Subsequent owners receive the balance of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty of 5 years/60,000 miles, what still is a great warranty.
The exterior of 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross is made in the concept of the brand called “Dynamic Shield”. Front of the X-shaped massive grille with narrowed aggressive headlights of the head light. In the profile we see a complex bend of the sidewalls, the way down of back roof and volumetric wheel arches. The forage of this car is introduced by the separate rear window, the exterior design includes interesting shapes of lanterns and protective pads on the bumper.
These are some of the features available in the Eclipse Cross:
- LED headlights (SEL)
- Fog lights and LED running lights
- LED rear combination taillights
- LED high mount stop light
- Color-keyed front and rear bumpers
- Color-keyed outside door handles
- Chrome beltline molding
- Wheel arch moldings
- Heated power side-view mirrors
- Dual pane power panoramic sunroof (Available on SEL)
- Front windshield rain sensing wipers (SE, SEL)
- Rear window intermittent wiper/washer with defroster
- Roof spoiler
- Shark fin antenna
- 18-inch two-tone alloy wheels (SE, SEL)
- 18-inch black alloy wheels (LE)
- 16-inch alloy wheels (ES)
- Exterior colors include: Red Diamond, Bronze Metallic, Rally Red Metallic, Octane Blue Metallic, Mercury Gray Metallic, Alloy Silver Metallic, Diamond White Pearl and Labrador Black Metallic
The interior of the Eclipse looks beautiful and modern. The steering multifunction wheel has improved “waves” for easy handling. The instrument panel is represented by two informative and bright wells. In the center of the torpedo is a large screen of a multimedia system, which can be controlled with a touch pad or four keys located below. Crossover can accommodate 5 people. Front seats have developed lateral support and a sufficient number of adjustments. Rear passengers will get a comfortable sofa, with the possibility of adjusting for length and angle of inclination. Everyone inside the car should be able to enjoy the new beautiful Cross.
- 7.0″ Smartphone Link Thin-Display Audio (SDA) System with touchpad controller with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ and SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with 3-month subscription (LE, SE, SEL)
- Mitsubishi Connect with Safeguard and Remote services and 24-month trial subscription (SE and SEL)
- LCD color multi-information display with high-contrast meters
- Rearview camera (ES,LE,SE,SEL)
- Multi-View Camera System (Available on SEL)
- Head-Up Display (HUD) (SEL)
- S-AWC drive mode selector (4WD Models)
- Automatic climate control (ES,LE)
- Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control (SE,SEL)
- 2 12-volt accessory outlets
- Eco indicator
- FAST-Key passive entry system with push button start and panic feature (SE,SEL)
- Front map lights, rear dome light and cargo light
- 6-way adjustable driver’s seat (ES, LE, SE)
- 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat (SEL)
- Heated front seats (SE,SEL)
- Heated Rear Seats (Available on SEL)
- 5 passenger seating
- Heated steering wheel (Available on SEL)
- Remote hood and fuel door release lever
The Eclipse Cross is an smart car. Advanced security technologies provide safer, more confident driving – on the road and in car parks day and night. With intelligent sensors that monitor the vehicle environment and warn of the danger to active driving assistance and reliable passive protection, 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross offers a full range of advanced security features. Mitsubishi has recently started an alliance with Nissan and Renault to develop smart technologies for their automobiles together. This will reduce costs and is planed to produce better results and technologies to benefit consumers.
A new technology called MITSUBISHI CONNECT provides Safeguard and Remote Services, and it will initially be offered in new Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross only with further expansion into other Mitsubishi models in the future.
The Japanese company provides this new innovative service to aid drivers on and off the road through integrated systems like Automatic Collision Notification, SOS Emergency Assistance, Roadside Assistance, and remote features such as Remote Climate Control and Car Finder. One of the interesting features is that this system will let you know if a car is driven outside of certain hours or locations, something that can be very helpful to monitor curfew driving hours for example.
These are some of the safety and technological features available in the all new Eclipse Cross 2018.
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Lane Change Assist (LCA) – This safety feature uses radar sensors in the rear bumper to detect vehicles in rear blind spots, on the right and left sides. An indicator appears in the door mirror when BSW is active and the turn signals are off. When a vehicle is detected and the turn signals are on, an indicator blinks in the door mirror on that side and a warning sound is given to the driver.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) – An indicator appears in the combination meter display when RCTA is active. If radar sensors in the rear bumper detect an approaching vehicle nearby while reverse gear is engaged, a warning message appears in the multi-information display, an audible alert sounds and an indicator blinks in both door mirrors.
- Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM) – Helps prevent a frontal collision or reduce the severity of that collision if it becomes unavoidable. Responds to vehicles and pedestrians via camera and laser radar.
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) – The Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system uses an onboard camera to monitor lane position in front of the vehicle audibly and visually, alerting the driver if it detects the vehicle leaving its lane unintentionally.
- Adaptive Cruise Control System (ACC) – Maintains a selected distance between the vehicle and the car ahead via radar for greater safety and peace of mind. It reduces driver stress especially during traffic jams on highways.
- Multi-View Camera System – The views from cameras mounted on the front, rear and sides of the vehicle (including a bird’s-eye view) can be displayed in various combinations to help reveal what is in blind spots and help you park.
- Automatic High Beam (AHB) – These headlights automatically adjust between the brightness levels depending on the surrounding lights.
- Advanced seven air bag SRS system including driver’s side knee air bag
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
- Active Stability Control (ASC)
- Traction Control Logic (TCL)
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Electric Park Brake Switch with Auto Hold (SE,SEL)
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Lane Change Assist (LCA) (SE, SEL)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Automatic High Beam (AHB) headlights, Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) (Available on SEL)
- Three-point seatbelts and head restraints for all seating positions
- LATCH child-restraint system
- Child safety rear door locks
- Anti-theft engine immobilizer and alarm system
- RISE body construction
- Mitsubishi Motors’ patented Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) safety cell body construction
Great price starting at 23K, even the top of the line is only 30K! Great features, beautiful stylish design, very spacious interior, great cargo space, a lot of technology, and more…that is the new Eclipse Cross….A wonderful car…easy to love!. Mitsubishi created a great car!. Now the challenge is marketing and advertisement, to be able to to spread the voice about this great new product. It is not an easy task! The Eclipse Cross will greatly improve Mitsubishi’s sales in North America.
Many car experts, media and dealers are stirring their head towards the 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, this car novelty is the fruit of a lot of work and research by the Japanese car maker, comes with a turbocharged engine and a lot of technical resources. The Eclipse can definitely get your attention and make you fall in love.
According to the strategy of Mitsubishi marketers, this new model, is targeted to residents of major metropolises who prefer an active lifestyle, however this type of compact SUV can be practical on any setting, from large cities to small towns and country roads.
The classic Eclipse sports car, one of Mitsubishi’s most popular and iconic cars ever, returns to the scene with driving dynamics and technology in the form of a CUV, the brand-new 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross.
I would like to add some negative or constructive cons comments, but with all honesty it is very hard to find anything missing on this new kid on the block.