2017 Ford Explorer Platinum 4WD
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Marco Carvajal
Our eyes are lucky to see and enjoy the amazing result of the recent cooperation between FORD and LAND ROVER. The version of the mid-size SUV car model Explorer, the 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum 4WD model. Ford and Range Rover designers and engineers have created one of the most beautiful American SUVs, with an elegant and sport interior, a classy modern exterior look, strong, powerful but with a lot of class, the Platinum Ford Explorer.[su_table]
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum 4WD
6-speed SelectShift Automatic
3.5L EcoBoost V6
365 @ 5500 rpm
350 @ 3500 rpm
Fuel tank capacity
Fuel Economy MPG
Combined Estimated MPG
The top of the Ford Explorer line presents the Platinum model. There are not big differences between the predecessor and the newly-minted baby. Almost everything is standard with the all-wheel-drive platinum, great features like heated first and second row seats, and heated steering wheel. The 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum 4WD has almost all the features that you would like to see in a modern family car, including all the necessary sensors and cameras for safe parking, Adaptive Cruise s control, audio system Sony, Apple CarPlay.
Power-folding third-row seats with a hands-free rear lift gate, to make your family daily tasks are convenient and easier.
In 1907 the company produced four-cylinder models N, R, S and a prestigious six-cylinder model K. They all had to compete with cars from other brands, which at that time appeared so fast and in large amounts, just like mushrooms after the rain. Even then, Ford realized that it was much more profitable to sell ten cars to ten buyers than one car at the price of ten, better to have higher sales volume at a lower price, than selling more expensive cars. Very good value philosophy, the lower the cost of a car, the more people are ready to buy it. However is not an easy task in terms of keeping great quality and design.
Therefore, in 1908, Ford decided on a radical step to abandon the entire current model range and begins production of a new development model “T”. For the next twenty years, it becomes the only serial car of the brand. All ingenious is simple, because to organize a mass production of one chassis is much easier than several different models at once. It will only be to tie a convenient body for the “car” and get the right model, from a two-seater pick-up, to a six-seater SUV or sedan.
The new concept of Ford’s development, which the company announced in 2012, was called ”Go Further”.
The essence of Ford’s new slogan lies in selling cars worldwide, not just the U.S., Ford cars should be sold like no other car, with very high volume of sales, Ford intends to significantly increase the production of global models, that is, car-machines built on the same platform, and using the same design, therefore creating global cars. So..”Go further”..!
I think that most car buyers are going to like the price.[su_table]
|2017 Ford Explorer Platinum||Starting at $53,235|
Appearance changes include chrome overlays for mirrors, 20-inch spoke wheels, quilted leather seats, dashboard leather trim, as well as natural wood trim and aluminum accents on the dashboard, doors and steering wheel. Under the hood of the car is a new turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 engine family EcoBoost, issuing 365 horsepower.
The engine provides a smooth acceleration in conjunction with a six-speed automatic transmission, which can be switched to manual mode.
Again the Platinum Explorer is fully loaded with exterior features to make any driver satisfied, just ask for it…and the explorer will have it.
- Auto High Beams
- Black lower front and rear bumpers, wheellip moldings and bodyside cladding
- Body-color liftgate spoiler
- Exhaust – Fascia-integrated, dual tips
- Fog Lamps
- Grille, unique with satin chrome finish
- Hands Free Power Liftgate
- Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams
- LED Signature Lighting
- LED taillamps
- Automatic LED Low-Beam Headlamps
- Liftgate Appliqué – Satin Chrome
- Mirrors – Satin Chrome Mirror Cap
- Powerfold® Mirrors
- Rain-Sensing Wipers
- Roof rack side rails – Satin Chrome
- Satin Chrome exterior door handles
- Satin Chrome bodyside cladding
- Acoustic-laminate windshield glass
- Privacy Glass, Second and Third Rows
- Solar tinted front door and windshield glass
Optional External Colors:
- Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
- White Platinum Metallic Tri-coat Paint
- Canyon Ridge
- Shadow Black
- White Gold
- Blue Jeans
- Smoked Quartz
- Ingot Silver
You can enjoy with excellent ergonomics of 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum 4WD. The menu in the central touch screen is logically organized, the touch buttons work with the first press. There is a camera in the front. An automatic parking system will help you in cramped city conditions. The seats of the third row are tiny a bit for adult passengers will be uncomfortable with them. So order them for an additional fee, does not make any sense if you are not a big family father.
A very nice two-section hatch fills the cabin with light, adaptive cruise control, a warning system for dead areas help the driver better to race.
- 3rd-row PowerFold® 50/50 split-folding bench seat
- Leather with quilted inserts. 1st row “Platinum” embroidery Multi-contour driver and passenger
- Second-row armrest and dual cupholders, heated outboard seats
- Air filtration system
- Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control
- Rear auxiliary climate control
- Forward media bin with (1) smart-charging USB and (1) 12V powerpoint and SD card reader
- Premium 500-watt Sound from Sony® with Clear Phase and Live Acoustics™
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Voice-Activated Navigation System
- 110V power outlet
- 12V powerpoints, 4 total (2 first row, 1 second row and 1 cargo area)
- Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision warning with brake support
- Ambient Lighting
- Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS® with cross-traffic alert)
- Cargo hooks
- Cargo net
- Cruise control
- Daytime running lights
- Dome/map lights in all three rows
- Twin-panel moonroof
- Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler
- Enhanced active park assist w/ pull out assist, perpendicular park and flank guard
- First-row center floor console with wrapped armrest and storage bin
- Floor Mats – Platinum-branded
- Heated steering wheel
- Integrated key fob
- Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start
- Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist
- Leather-wrapped shift knob
- Lighted front scuff plates
- Overhead console with dome/map lights and sunglasses holder
- Passenger-assist grab handles (1 at front-passenger seat, 2 in second row)
- Power door Locks
- Power tilt/telescoping steering column
- Power windows, with 1-touch-up-and-down driver/passenger window
- Power-adjustable pedals with memory
- Rear view camera with washer
- Remote Start
- Reverse Sensing System
- Steering wheel, leather-wrapped with cruise control, 5-way controls and secondary audio controls
- Sun visors, color-keyed, single blade, illuminated, with covered vanity mirrors
- SYNC® 3
- Universal Garage Door Opener
Optional Interior Features:
- 2nd row heated bucket seats with Power-Assist Fold
- Second row console
- All-weather floor mats
The explorer is a very beautiful SUV, but also very safe and secure. Lots of safety and security items to make us relax and enjoy the ride more.
These are some of the main features I like:
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™
- Front Passenger Knee Airbag
- Industry-first Inflatable rear outboard safety belts
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Children)
- Safety Canopy® System
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
- Traction control
- Battery-saver feature
- Perimeter alarm
- Remote keyless/illuminated entry
- SecuriCode™ Keyless Entry Keypad
- SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
With a price near 53K, this super loaded SUV has a very attractive level of value, compared to many other SUVs in the same segment. For those car buyers who like to have a fully loaded car but with reasonable budget, the Explorer is a great alternative.
The first time I drove the Platinum Explorer, I felt very similar to when driving a stylish Range Rover, but for half of the price.
If we talk about wish lists, it is hard to find anything that has not been included in the Explorer, perhaps there can be some improvements in the suspension, it is already smooth, but I believe it can be improved. Also the wheel control could be enhanced to a little bit more, to be more precise, but we are talking about a very small improvement as this is already a premium car on every aspect.
The 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum 4WD is a very luxury SUV with almost everything standard including the power of all-wheel-drive, heated first and second row seats. Besides its beauty, it is a powerful automobile, with 365 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque. Automatic parking system that can steer the Explorer into an open spot. The Platinum interior is made with premium materials, the seats come with an American comfortable large sofa style, one of the reasons why these SUVs are so comfortable.