2017 Kia Forte5 SX
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by KIA
As I drive the 2017 Kia Forte5 SX through Daytona Beach in Florida, I enjoy all the cool features included on this Hatchback. For a compact car it feels very fast and powerful with a 201 horse power. The power of the Forte5 is in big part the result of Kia’s turbocharged 1.6 Litters I-4, DOHC GDI.
Kia keeps surprising us with great cars available at very low price, fully loaded with practical driving features and new powerful engines with very good fuel economy. It is hard to beat the value and all what you can get when buying a Kia. The Forte5 hatchback is hard to beat in its segment.
2017 Kia Forte5 SX
Front engine / FWD
6-Speed Manual, 7-Speed Dual-Clutch Transmission (Optional)
1.6L I-4, turbocharged DOHC Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) DOHC D-CVVT 16V/V
201 hp @ 6,000 rpm
195 lb-ft @ 1,750 – 4,500 rpm
Fuel Economy MPG
Combined Estimated MPG
23 City / 29 Hwy
The Forte5, is a European-inspired hatchback. The Forte5 is available as a sedan and also as a hatchback, the one that I am test-driving.
The Forte5 exterior look is beautiful with Kia’s signature “tiger nose” grille. The beautiful look is enhanced by headlights that sweep back around the front fenders. On the rear, the exterior design continues with LED daytime running lights and taillights.
The 2017 Forte5 Hatchback is offered in 3 trim levels, LX, EX and SX. The top of the line, the SX has a low base price of $23,800, not bad for the higher trim level you can get, but if you want to save then the entry-level, the LX has a low price of $18,200.
The SX version Forte 5 is more sporty. It will offer 18-inch alloy wheels, sports kit and exhaust system, LED tail lights, metal pedal pads. Unique front and rear panels with red accents and double exhaust tips. The SX is available with the Orange Color Pack, more sporty, with orange leather accents and contrasting lines on the seats.
The hatchback cargo area is very spacious and practical for those drivers like myself who always have something to carry.
The Kia Forte5 SX version is available with a 1.6 liter turbo engine, 6 speed manual or a sporty 7-speed dual-clutch transmission (DCT) Sportmatic.
Prices & Versions
The 2017 Kia Forte5 is available on 3 different variations, the LX starting at $18,200, the EX Starting at $22,100, and finally the top of the line trim the SX starting at 23,800.
The base model the LX has a very attractive price for less than $19,000. Some of the features not available on the LX are for example manual transmission as the only option is to have a 6 speed automatic transmission.
The SX is a more sporty car, it is the only model with an Sport-Tuned Suspension, it comes with more horsepower at 201 hp and also more torque at 195 lb-ft. The SX has more options and features, but in general the 3 models are very good and have the same dimensions and same safety features.[su_table]
|2017 Kia Forte5 SX||Starting at $23,800|
The 2017 Kia Forte5 SX is longer and wider, it comes with a more modern design, and more features.
Some of the Exterior Features
- 18″ Alloy wheels
- Projector low-beam headlights
- Xenon HID headlights (optional)
- Auto-on/off headlights
- Power-folding outside mirrors
- Outside mirrors with LED turn-signal indicators
- Puddle lamp (under outside mirrors)
- Gloss black exterior mirrors
- Variable intermittent windshield wipers
- Single or Dual Chrome exhaust tip finishers
- Power sunroof (optional)
The interior of the Forte feels bigger.
The inside is enhanced by many functions and features like heated and ventilated front seats with heated sports steering wheel, leather upholstery, sports alloy pedals, a power sunroof.
Some of the Interior Features
- Tilt and telescopic steering column
- Trip Computer Dot-matrix type LCD
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (optional)
- Digital clock
- Dome light
- Illuminated ignition keylock cylinder
- Illuminated glove box
- Chrome parking brake button
- Metal pedals
- Dual-zone automatic temperature control with rear vents (optional)
- Rear seat heater ducts (under front seats)
- UVO3 eServices Infotainment System with Android Auto and Apple Carplay smartphone integration with 7″ Rear View Camera
- Supervision meter cluster with 4.2″ TFT color LCD display (inside the meter cluster) (optional)
- UVO eServices Infotainment System with Voice-command Navigation, SiriusXM Traffic, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio
- 6 speakers
- Bluetooth® wireless technology
- Power door locks with two-turn entry system
- Remote keyless entry with trunk opener
- Push button start with Smart Key
- Power windows with driver and front passenger’s one-touch auto-up/down
The Forte5 is fully loaded with a complete list of available security technologies like vehicle stability management, anti-lock brakes system, electronic stability control and more.
In the NHTSA crash tests, Kia Forte received an overall rating of 5 stars and also received good ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- Dual front advanced airbags
- Dual front seat-mounted side airbags
- Full-length side curtain airbags
- Front seat-belt pretensioners
- Height-adjustable front seat-belt anchors
- Anti-lock Brakes System (ABS)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Impact sensing auto door unlock
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
- 4-wheel disc brakes
Most of the changes on the Forte, include the new beautiful exterior and interior design, incorporation of the most advanced technology in communication, security, entertainment and connectivity, a new engine. The Forte5 hatchback gets better engineering to increase efficiency, fuel economy and driving performance.
The 2017 Forte5 SX includes a redesigned elegant exterior look inspired by the Optima, sporty performance with a 7-speed manual transmission with double clutch, and a powerful 2001 HP four-cylinder turbocharged engine with a 1.6-liter.
Safety features like Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Blind Spot Detection with Lane Change Assistance makes the Forte5 safer and more attractive. Push-button start with Smart Key, and perimeter approach lighting with front-door pocket lighting. Several features and enhancements in the areas of safety, interior and exterior, all for a low price of $23,800.